Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Console Sprite Stays Home, Part I - Feel My Module

Yes, this is true...I did stay home instead of heading out to GenCon like everyone else. Personal and professional obligations have tied me down and I could not find a way out. Now, I do not want to spend any time moping about it, as my personal obligations will hopefully turn out to be quite fun over the weekend. In lieu of any talk about GenCon, I will talk mainly about the geeky things that I have been doing that have no relation to the event, so get ready for the first entry: Feel My Module.

When I arrived home from the horrendous August heat, I sat down at my computer to feast my eyes on my latest acquisition: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv, the first module in the Serpent's Skull Adventure Path for Pathfinder. This will represent only the second module that I have ever run in my life, the first of which being The Tomb of Iuchiban for L5R. To summarize that experience, the boxed set should have included the following tagline: "Just tear your PCs' character sheets up at the start. It will make their lives easier." It was quite brutal, even for high-level PCs, but it was a lot of wonky fun. This new module, however, promises to be a fun experience, as it pushes characters from the baby steps of level 1 to the somewhat normal chaos of level 4. Just briefly reading through it has made me quite giddy, as the premise looks entirely pulpy and adventurous. I won't go into details to spoil the fun and ruin any future entries on the subject (which there will be).

Also, I might have talked Kitsuki-sama into pulling out Arkham Horror tomorrow so that we might actually finish a game without dying horribly. With some additional house rules and two characters per player, I am optimistic about our chances to defeat the base game. Our track record is 0-4, but this is mainly due to the lack of investigators on the table. Addressing this problem should make the game easier to complete.

And finally, when poking around the gaming sites, I found this gem: Blood Bowl. This game definitely represents a future investment of funds, but for right now, I am content with simply drooling.

The night grows short and I must be on my way. Stay tuned for the next part tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment